- Additional $40 million over four years to the Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program to help entrepreneurs create new companies
- $305 million over five years to enhance access to high-speed broadband networks to a target speed of 5 Mb/s
- Up to $30 million to IRAP to support youth internships in SMEs
- Reallocation of $15 million annually within the Youth Employment Strategy to support up to 1,000 full-time internships at SMEs
- $3 million over three years to the Canadian Digital Media Network for the creation of the Open Data Institute in Waterloo
- $15 million over three years, starting in 2014–15, to support the Institute for Quantum Computing in Waterloo
- Create the Canada First Research Excellence Fund with $1.5 billion in funding over the next decade
- Additional $15 million per year to the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council
- Additional $500 million over two years to the Automotive Innovation Fund
- $8 million over two years to Mitacs to expand its support for industrial research and training of postdoctoral fellows
- $10 million over two years in support of social innovation research projects at colleges and polytechnics
- A new Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Fund "will require immigrants to make a real and significant investment in the Canadian economy"
- "A plan to introduce legislation to prohibit unjustified cross-border price discrimination"
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
At first glance: Highlights of Budget 2014
Haven't read a lot of it yet, but these were some items that stood out from a innovation perspective ... and from a quasi-rural, living in Southwestern Ontario near the border perspective (a summary of my Tweets at the time):
OMG, did you hear? There's a new $100 million "Innovation SuperCorridor" initiative from the province introduced in the budget...
Just wanted to thank Andrew Willis of The Globe & Mail for including this blog as one of his five picks for Canada's best business ...
Many people have said good things about the Peter Thiel (with Blake Masters) book Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future...
The CVCA -- Canada's Venture Capital and Private Equity Association -- today came out in support of the Ontario budget, praising it for...